Current WF2 defines a way to determinate the default submit button[1].
While it is quite useful it would be even more useful if you could
decide which is the default submit button in WF2 compliant UAs:

# woo_  who really programs like that though.. "well, the first button
#       is ALWAYS going to be the button I want to have executed"
# woo_  they apparently never had "customers"

ASP.NET2 provides quite a useful way[2] to point to the default submit button and the button that should get autofocus.

Personally I think declaring them on the FORM element might make more sense. (Not that WF2 currently provides a way to set a default submit button.) That way 'autofocus' wouldn't be an attribute with the name of its value, but an attribute with an ID as value. On page load the first FORM element with an 'autofocus' attribute set would be selected and when someone clicks inside a FORM element with an 'autofocus' attribute set the form control with an ID attribute that has a value the attribute points to would get focus.

The other attribute could be called 'defaultsubmit' or so and would work on a per form basis.

I know this would require quite some changes to the specification but I think it is worth it and since the specification would get another call for comments...

[1]<http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#enter-submit> [2]<http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti/archive/2004/11/01/250482.aspx>

-- Anne van Kesteren <http://annevankesteren.nl/>