Matthew Thomas wrote:
Lists should not be classified as block level or inline level
elements within the spec.

I think they should. (Note that block and inline are different here from the definition CSS applies to them.) That way they get another content model that might be more suited for inline situations.

'an' should be outside the LI element I guess and I'm not sure if this is the right approach but it looks cool. (Agreed that only a few would use it.)

-- Anne van Kesteren <http://annevankesteren.nl/>