Ian Hickson schrieb:

I read a lot of fiction books and when I come across a "* * *" it reads to me like a paragraph, saying "Meanwhile, in a different part of the universe:"; it doesn't read as "end section. new section:".

  <section>
    <!-- 'plot', 'note', 'loc', 'place', 'time', 'story' ... -->
    <!-- former place of 'hr' in disguise -->
    <!-- former place of 'hr' in disguise -->
  </section>

Works have either just one plot or more which are either parallel (like the example above) or nested (where the top-most doesn't need to be stuffed into a 'div'). Correct mark-up (in inadequate presentation) could destroy the reader's pleasure, though, when the author wants to keep the recipient in the dark about what point of view a certain part really belongs to.

To put it another way, sections are things that you can put a title to.

'div' is the proper HTML element type for subdivisions (of sections) that actually are not sections. (IMO sections always have a heading, 'h'.) It, optionally, can be categorized with the 'class' attribute and be identified by an 'id' attribute.

There's no title you can put to a group of paragraphs separated from other groups of paragraphs in the same chapter of a work of fiction, in my experience.

Anyhow you can still group paragraphs by wrapping them in a division instead of dividing them by a separator. The latter is IMO not a very markupish approach. MLs are usually about putting (informational) atoms into bags and these into larger ones, iterated until you reach the top one, the root.