Jim Ley wrote:

WYSIWYG editing has to produce "tag-soup", it's free of semantics, as
the wysiwyg cannot know the semantics intended by the user, for that
reason the only way is to limit the elements to those with only strong
semantics - links, images etc.

That won't work. People use <blockquote> for indentation as we know.

I beleive that more useful way to encourage user to use elements semantically (the only that I can think of) is to use very visible, distinct and different from UAs defaults styling. I mean if for example <blockquote> has background image of a quotation mark and generated content with a user name from it's 'cite' attribute, then few users would want to use it just for indentation.

I also think that WYSIWYG semantics is essentially very hard anyway...