Yes, I saw Ric's reply. A nice suggestion, but that implies <sandbox> is a documentElement by itself, or is it a DOMSandbox needing to be defined?

Sandboxes are quite special things, so we'll need a DOMSandbox anyway. But instead of adding things like getElementById() to the DOMSandbox interface, I tend to make the "fake document" which is visible from inside the sandbox a member of the sandbox itself. The call will look like sandbox.document.getElementById().

I think that treating <sandbox> as a document object per-se may be a bit of overkill, from a coding perspective all it should take is for the implementing browser to flag a script as being contained within a sandbox, or not, psudeocode:

documentGetElementByIdWrapper( elementID )
{
   if( theScript.sandboxElement )
   {
      return theScript.sandboxElement.getElementById( elementID );
   }

   if( globalDocumentElement )
      return globalDocumentElement.getElementById( elementID );

   return null;
}

Ric Hardacre
http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/