On Nov 5, 2006, at 00:23, Elliotte Harold wrote:

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:56:35 +0100, Elliotte Harold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've no idea about XForms, but the plan for MathML is that you can write it without bothering about namespaces, but that it ends up having namespaces in the DOM.

Like hell it doesn't matter! A DOM doesn't travel over the network. The serialized form does.

Anne is talking about the text/html serialization, which is supposed to be parsed using an HTML5 parser. It is a special-purpose alternative serialization for a subset of possible infosets--like RELAX NG Compact Syntax. Please ignore the superficial syntactic similarity to XML 1.0.

The DOM is one possible local model used to process the document on one system. My tools may or may not be based on the DOM, but they're going to start by receiving an actual XML instance. We can use TagSoup to fudge HTML, but if you I want to handle MathML, SVG, and other things in it, That instance had better be namespace well- formed, and it had better use the right names for the right things, both local and qualified.

He wasn't talking about chameleon namespaces but about the absence of namespace *syntax* in the text/html serialization. The HTML5 parser is expected to put stuff in the right (non-chameleon) namespaces.

I don't think an HTML5 parser needs to synthetize qualified names. Let's just make the equal to local name in APIs that have a hole to fill. XML processing is broken anyway if the code is looking at qNames rather than the (namespace, local name) pair.

This isn't about chameleon namespaces. (Also I am opposed to chameleon namespaces.)

P.S. Since the HTML5 parsing algorithm assumes that it can require DOM nodes to be moved or appended higher up in the document, I don't expect Tag Soup to ever become a fully conforming HTML5 parser if it is to remain SAX streamability instead of buffering everything in a tree first. Chances are that users of Tag Soup will appreciate streamability more than interop with browsers when it comes to the handling of non-conforming documents.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]