On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:32:55 +0600, Henri Sivonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It's not only about printing-while-downloading. It's about the ability to print an arbitrarily long document without consuming infinite memory for DOM.

What kind of use is this about? Is this about XHTML-Print-type stuff or about Prince-type high-end formatting? CSS already allows page number references, which means that the formatter has to paginate the whole document in order to make forward reference by page number.

I have never seen the source of a print-only CSS formatter, but I imagine an optimized implementation could optimize away the DOM but would still have to keep the entire CSS frame tree in memory (at least when there's generated content that depends on later page numbers).

TeX uses repeated passes over a long document to handle cross-references properly using limited memory. It would be useful if HTML allowed something like that.

--
Alexey Feldgendler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>