Mihai Sucan wrote:
Not if it does the simple, smart thing that Thunderbird does - if you paste in a comma-separated list of addresses, turn it into a list of single entries.

You've now added even more work: parse the list of emails, and add the new inputs for each email address.

You already have the code for adding new inputs, because you fire it when you press Enter after entering a single address. As for the rest:

var addresses = textbox.split(/[:,]\s*/);

Also, what Thunderbird does is not always desirable: having 50+, 150+ emails takes too much screen space (too many rows).

This is what scrollbars are for. A web page is not a physical device. If you think the user will get tired scrolling past the 150 addresses they just added, put the address list into a <div style=overflow:scroll> with a height of approximately 10x the height of a text box.

Keeping all of them in a single input is a lot more compact.

And a lot harder to find a particular one and delete it.

Isn't it easier, after all, to have a single simple <input type=emails> ? Parsed only once when the form is submitted (either server-side, or client-side, it does not really matter).

I don't think it's as easy to use or edit, and it makes it harder for the browser to do things like automatic address completion from a dropdown.

JS+DOM work. The final result is basically allowing not only a single <input type=emails> (as I suggested), but multiple such fields, as many as the user wants - while all the work is done by the web author, not by the UA.

Not all the work. They have <input type="email"> as a building block. But yes - webmail implementations are free to come up with their own excellent ideas about the best way to handle 150 email addresses in the UI. I'd call that a feature, not a bug.

Gerv