On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 06:40:18 +0100, Matthew Ratzloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't care about DTD, but DOCTYPE is established, so it seems strange to trash it in favor of something new when the benefit is questionable (as
far as I can tell).  It is also evident to me that there needs to be some
kind of versioning--consistent rendering shouldn't be a moving target.

There needs to be versioning? The web has done great so far without it... I'm not sure I really see the need.

If DTD is out, bring back the deprecated "version" attribute that it
replaced.  Assuming there is only one version of HTML 5.0, the following
would work:

All attributes optional, obviously.

What exactly would this help with? (I might be convinced that a meaningless version="" attribute is useful for conformance checkers. To make conformance not a moving target. However, given that other interpreting software, such as web browsers, do change, maybe conformance should too.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>