I defer on the legal side, i really do,

On 23 Mar 2007, at 12:18, Christian F.K. Schaller wrote:

I mean what have we truly achieved if the new VIDEO element means that
web page developers still have to support Windows Media for Windows
clients, MPEG4 for Apple systems and Ogg for Linux/Unix systems? I think in that case most web developers would be more than happy to just stick to using flash video, at least they can get away with encoding once and
have a decent chance of all platforms supporting it.

For the <video> tag to work in the situation you describe, across platforms and browsers means introducing a codec into the spec. *If* this is possible, it then depends on browser developers following the spec, *If* they do that, it is still possible for developers to use the video they already have encoded, in the new video tag (as I can't see a video tag working if you *require* a specific codec for all content), to the exclusion of those who's UA don't support it, and a lot of people will only care if it works in IE.

I'm with you, we should aim for the sky, I just think there are too many road blocks in the way.

Gareth