Chris Adams wrote:

there can always be browser defaults that take over, but by allowing authors the ability to override the browsers controls
will allow for the flexibility of
a) allowing for disabled controls (perhaps disabling fast-forward for training videos)

Seems to me the user shoudl be in control here, not the author. If they want to fast forward, the browser lets them. I have no interest in enabling or even suggesting the use of the silly DVD type controls where you can't fast forward through the ads or the FBI notice.

b)  scripted controls (automatically pausing at various points )

Maybe, but is it really the control we want to script or the video itself?

c) it allows for cross-browser standardization.

This is *not* a good thing. Browsers will and should be wildly different, What works for IE will not work for a cell phone or a screen reader. The point is to tell the client that there is a video, here';s where to get it, and let the browser choose how best to display that and present the controls that make sense in its environment.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!