On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

At http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2007/04/html_5.html PPK suggests having an attribute for storing private data for scripts.

Currently, one can invent an attribute and it will work for scripts. However, it will look ugly for conformance checking. Since this is essentially a conformance definition issue as browsers would not be required to implement anything new (assuming a new reflecting attribute on HTMLElement is deemed unnecessary), adding an attribute for script-private data would be rather easy.

I think it would be worthwhile to add an attribute for script- private data to common attributes, so that scripters who need one and want to be conforming don't need to abuse e.g. title.

The class attribute can already be used for script-private data. I think the time script authors go for made-up attributes is when they need a set of key-value pairs. Class is not so great for that, but I'm not sure any new attribute would be either, unless it provided some sort of built-in key-value parsing.

If you want structured data in this attribute, why not just use JSON?

-ryan