Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
I think the correct fallback for a photograph for its own sake is alt="(Use
a browser that supports graphic images to view)".

Not much use to a blind user, for example. (Of course arguably flickr as a whole isn't much use to a blind user but that alt text still seems suboptimal).

However I think this reenforces the general point that there are cases where the image _is_ the content.