Hi,
I apologize if I've missed this in the specification or mailing archives, but I have a suggestion related to standardizing web "archives" in HTML5. Currently, I know that Firefox uses Mozilla Archive Format (.maf), Internet Explorer and Opera use MIME HTML (.mht) and Safari uses its own format (.webarchive) for saving a web page and all of its resources into a single file. So clearly a standard would be beneficial in ensuring "archive" compatibility between browsers and I think it's suitable for that standard to reside in HTML5.

I don't believe this would be very difficult to standardize and the solution may be nothing more than a collection of random files wrapped into a ZIP compressed archive with a unique extension similar to a JAR or ODF file. The unique extension would be recognized by browsers, email clients and editors, which could then extract and display the root file directly (ex. index.html). The root file would obviously contain relative URIs to any other HTML, JavaScript, CSS, images and other files in the archive so the internal structure may not be important and the browser would not need any new rules to interpret individual files once it has uncompressed the archive into memory. This would facilitate passing HTML based documents around that could be viewed with any browser, yet appear as a small single file.

-Tyler