On 16-Apr-07, at 3:03 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Tyler Keating wrote:

Hi,

I'm bringing this up again with a different tact, because the more that I think about it, the more I believe it has the ability to significantly change the perception and application of HTML and I would really like to keep the discussion alive. In the previous thread, I proposed a standard for archiving web sites into a single ZIP archive with a unique file extension and although it didn't get any outright negative feedback, it didn't drum up too much excitement either. If you can bear with me, I'd like to describe the idea again in a slightly different light.

A cross-browser web archive format sounds like a useful thing. However, I don't think it should be part of or even tied to the HTML spec. In principle, such an archive could contain any browser- viewable content as the root document. This could be HTML, XHTML, SVG, generic XML, plain text, a raster image, or any number of other things. So such an archive format is logically a separate layer and should be specced as such.

Okay. I understand it now... Thank you, you are right. Before I get out of here, whom do I bring this to instead? I'm guessing it needs to be the W3C Web Application Formats WG, but I'd like validation before I start bugging them (if that's even possible).

Thanks,
- Tyler