On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:07:09 +0100, timeless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As such, encouraging people to include alt tags means the difference
between me knowing that there's an image I care to look at and not.

If e-mail client automatically inserted [image was here] in the text part of e-mail, you would know that there were images, even without user providing better alternative text.

I support opinion that it doesn't make sense to _require_ e-mail clients to bug users about alternative text. On the web rationale for alt text is that you can never know who will read your page. In case of personal e-mail you do know. Pictures sent in personal e-mails almost never have function other than the picture itself - alt text for vacation photos, to be really an alternative, would have to be an essay.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński