Kornel Lesinski wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:19:49 +0100, Jonas Sicking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is an idea I have had floating around in my head for a while and
a recent couple of threads reminded me I really need to post it here.

Basic idea:
The idea is basically an element like <iframe> but that renders the linked page

Something similar has been proposed recently:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-April/010801.html

Yes, that was the post that originally reminded me I should send in my proposal.

IMHO such includes don't solve the biggest problem of frames - that there's only a single usable URL and all actual content is in orphaned scraps of documents.

This problem isn't specific to frames. It also happens with pages that uses script. Especially pages that make heavy use of AJAX.

However this isn't always a problem. For example when you are referring to a page that contains ads, you don't generally care to specify which ad is shown in the <iframe>s of that page.

Same thing with my google suggest example, there you don't really care about showing the results of a particular search. In fact, doing so would look very wrong since that would create a missmatch between the search results and the empty input box.

I suggest investigating further concept of "ID overlays" instead:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-April/010805.html

I don't really see how those overlays could be used to create the two examples I brought up in my original posting.

/ Jonas