To avoid stepping on the toes of Charmod more than is necessary, I suggest making it non-conforming for a document to have bytes in the 0x80…0x9F range when the character encoding is declared to be one of the ISO-8859 family encodings.

(UA conformance requires in some cases these bytes to be decoded in a Charmod-violating way, but reality trumps Charmod for UA conformance. While I'm at it: Surely there are other ISO-8859 family encodings besides ISO-8859-1 that require decoding using the corresponding windows-* family decoder?)

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]