On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:37:46 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I've defined the parsing and conformance requirements in a way that
matches IE. As a side-effect, this has made things like "na&iumlve"
actually conforming. I don't know if we want this.

Rather not. This would break unencoded URLs:

?foo=bar&region=baz → ?foo=bar®ion=baz

You mean that Internet Explorer breaks them already? That doesn't make much sense to me.

No, IE doesn't break them, and that's the point.

Section 8.2.3.1. states "This definition is used when parsing entities in text and in attributes." - if I understand this correctly, this makes semicolon optional for entities in both attributes and text and "&region" in attribute would be interpreted as "®ion". If that's the case, it is not compatible with IE, because it parses entities differently in attributes and text. Semicolon (or any non-alphanumeric character actually) is required in attributes, but in text it is not.

In IE6 <a href="&region">&region</a> is equivalent to

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński