----- Original Message ----- From: "Henri Sivonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Travis Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] a few thoughts

On Jul 6, 2007, at 21:24, Travis Miller wrote:
New list member here. I'm excited to see the W3C moving toward standardized support for web apps.

Welcome.

1. Slider form controls:

There's already <input type='range'>:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#range

2. Expandable/collapsible hierarchical trees: Every modern operating system of which I'm aware supports this UI element natively, so it would be easy for user agents to implement, and they are very well-suited for representing many kinds of data structures.

Does <datagrid> meet your needs?
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#datagrid0

Why <datagrid>? I think <select> is just enough in this case as
<optgroup> can contain other <optgroup>s now.

Problem with <select>/<option> is that they do not allow
markup inside - only plain text. This limits its use significantly.

3. Tabbed content:

This was in the draft at some point but it was dropped. I'm not sure about the details of the reasoning why.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

About Tabbed content:

Tabs control is a binding of set of radio buttons (or labels that behave as radio buttons) with the set of panels. Value of radio group is bound to the visibility of correspondent panel. This schema works perfectly if stripe of labels and panels are independent DOM elements. But when labels and panels are combined into single element like <tabs>
it is impossible to define reasonable layout using CSS in its current state.

This, btw, reminds me the question I wanted to ask while ago:

All elements introduced by html5 should appear in
"master" style sheet similar to this: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#appendix-a
otherwise if they will use some non CSS definable layout we
will end up with another <table>s situation.
There are few elements emerged already that are impossible to define in CSS terms.
<footer>  and <header> are examples that I can recall immediately.

So is the question: does this imply that HTML5 shall have synchronous CSS5 thing
or not?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com