Ian Hickson wrote:
First of all, that'll mean that calling .play() on a in-non-active-document element will silently fail. It'd probably be better to throw an exception.

If it throws an exception, how do you switch it to the "play" mode? You might well want to do this, e.g. if it is possible the document in question will once against become an active document.

It's also something that's easier to miss for an implementor. Might be a good idea to put it in the steps for play() and change the removed-from-document paragraph to say:

When a media element is removed from a Document, or the .ownerDocument stops being an active document, the user agent must act as if the pause() method had been invoked.

But that makes it possible to have the problem you mentioned, with elements that never stop playing.

What I meant was to make play() throw if .ownerDocument isn't active, and make elements pause() when the .owernDocument goes inactive. In that case it shouldn't be possible to never stop playing.

I agree that it might be desirable to put the <video> in play-mode without actually starting to play it, so the current text looks fine.

/ Jonas