On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:04:09 +0100, ddailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was revisiting some old scripts I had written for determining the size of the browser window (or things inside it) -- using clientWidth for IE and innerWidth for Netscape / other. Like many scripts written for the good old days, measuring seems to have changed as well.

Mark Wilton-Jones provides this rather frightening analysis http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/javascript/browserwindow of the behavior of Opera, IE, and FF (various versions of each) in and out of quirks mode. A quick text scan of the "editor's draft" of HTML5 at http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/ reveals no mention of either clientWidth or innerWidth, so I'm wondering where this might be handled if not in HTML itself?

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before; I may have been napping.

The CSS WG is working on this:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/

Discussion "should" take place on [EMAIL PROTECTED] The draft will be published as a W3C First Public Working Draft soonish, though this may be after new year given the holidays and such.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>