See: http://forums.whatwg.org/viewtopic.php?t=130

Siemova wrote:
I recently wanted to create an OL in reverse order. In scouring the web for a solution, I found no simple way to accomplish this, but came across a number of other people frustrated by the lack of this minor feature. The easiest, most obvious solution would be to create an attribute for Ordered Lists -- let's call it order="" -- which would have two possible values: ftl (first to last) and ltf (last to first). Very much like the dir property for text, and, similarly, it would default/degrade to the normal first-to-last order. The possible applications for this are numerous, of course: count-downs, top n lists, having "most recent" items at the top of a reverse-numbered list, etc. I'm sure anybody can think of times they'd want to do this. It would be particularly helpful for traditional print (newspapers, magazines, etc.) converting their content for internet use. Yes, you can accomplish such things via overloaded tables or CSS hacks, or avoid using an HTML list at all, but my proposal would make this use of lists much more convenient, more standardized, and less likely to break.

(A boolean reverse="" attribute or so would also work, I guess.)

Siemova then kindly provided some useful pointers:

People who are frustrated due to the lack of this feature:

http://www.escapedthoughts.com/weblog/geek/P040710badspecs.writeback
http://cavlec.yarinareth.net/archives/2003/07/02/prerequisites/
http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2004/05/31/most-naturally-beautiful-women/
http://forums.biorust.com/html-php-asp-js/5888-reverse-ordered-lists.html
http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/11767/why-not
http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/P2440_0_3_0/
http://samablog.robsama.com/?m=20070421

Pages that work around the lack of this feature:

http://monkey.paularms.com/weblog/html/reverse-ordered-lists
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/18706
http://www.dominoguru.com/pages/06252007031226.html
http://tallerthanaveragetales.blogspot.com/2005/12/bit-of-business-from-last-year.html