On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:54:25 -0000, Philip Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It's quite a different situation when the Referer is used as a security measure in deciding to trust a user's request, where false negatives can have significant consequences (like editing data via cross-site request forgery). That is the situation where <a ping> mustn't introduce new risks.

I looked for some examples of code that checks the Referer for security, and found:
[...]

That's interesting. In that case attack outlined on Mozilla's list is even less likely to succeed than I thought. So maybe a "less abusive" approach would suffice:

* if ping is cross-domain, always send Referer
* if ping originates from the same domain, don't send any Referer at all

--
regards, Kornel LesiƄski