On 29 Feb 2008, at 01:29, Shannon wrote:

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> While yes, you could rely on something like that, it totally breaks in any user agent without scripting support. Nothing else, to my knowledge, in HTML 5 leads to total loss of functionality without JavaScript whatsoever.

By total loss of functionality I meant something that is functionality provided by HTML itself (and not through CSS or some DOM API) which leads to the page being totally unusable.

Well nothing except global/session/database storage,

You already have the fallback for people without ECMAScript, so that works fine.

the "irrelevant" attribute,

So you can edit something which you otherwise couldn't. Oh well. Nothing breaks.

contenteditable,

Oh come on. Even IE supports this. This most certainly is backwards compatible.

contextmenu,

Again, this is a DOM API and can be recreated in ECMAScript (which, if you're try to use it at all, you know is enabled).

draggable,

Both IE and Safari have partial support for this already.

the video and audio elements, canvas

All three of these have fallback content, which is needed sometimes when a browser does support HTML 5 anyway.

and the connection interface.

Again, you know you have ECMAScript enabled already to be able to use this at all. Something similar could be done using XMLHttpRequest, if I am not mistaken.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>