Nicholas Shanks wrote:

The only way I can see to have these in a well-formed DOM is by using empty elements for both the start and end.

Right. Coming from the SGML world, that's called "paired elements"
and they're usually linked through id and idref. That's how a range
should be represented and a single selection is a range.

However, that said, I believe more strongly that the ins, del and mark are metadata about the document, not specifically *part* of the document, and as such, perhaps they need to be moved completely out of flow, either into the <head> or into an auxiliary metadata file. They are seldom used AFAICT, not being mentioned on [1], and I think there is a valid reason for this lack of use which should be addressed. Are the elements necessary in HTML, should the information they convey be specified in another manner completely?

Managing that in an editor would be a true nightmare. Please, please,
please no.

</Daniel>