-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ian Hickson
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 3:29 AM
To: Henri Sivonen; liorean; Anne van Kesteren; Martin Atkins
Cc: whatwg
Subject: Re: [whatwg] xml:space

I haven't done anything with xml:space. It doesn't do anything, and it's
not an HTML5 thing, so as far as I can tell it is out of scope for HTML5.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> > Since this editor artifact is harmless in browsers and useful in
> > editors, it would be nice if the spec made it conforming at least on
> > the <pre> element in XHTML5.
>
> Suggested text:
>
> The xml:space attribute may be used on XHTML elements of XML documents.
> Authors must not use the xml:space attribute in HTML documents. The
> xml:space attribute, if present, must have the literal value "default"
> or the literal value "preserve". The meaning of this attribute is
> outside the scope of this specification.
>
> If that's too permissive, here's what would minimally cover my use case:
> In XHTML (but not in HTML), the element pre may have the attribute
> xml:space. If the attribute is present, the value of the attribute must
> be "preserve".
>
> The first conforms to XML 1.0 for sure. The latter may not exactly,
> depending on spec interpretation.

I don't see why we should special-case this particular harmless non-HTML
feature, and not any number of other harmless non-HTML features. If
another specification wants to define something, then it's up to that
specification to define when it can be used.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Martin Atkins wrote:

> Presumably its primary purpose is to act as a signal to generic XML
> tools - that don't have any special knowledge about XHTML - that
> they should not screw around with the whitespace inside PRE, etc.
>
> One obvious example of such a tool is an XML pretty-printer. While an
> HTML pretty-printer like HTML Tidy can have rules "hard-coded" into it,
> this is not true of a non-validating XML formatter unless it is
> specifically written for XHTML.

It seems that given the importance of XHTML, we can expect pretty printers
to be written for it.