On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Michal Zalewski wrote:

If you have faith that all these places can be patched up because we tell them so, and that these who want to would be able to do so consistently and reliably - look at the current history of XSRF and XSS vulnerabilities.

...and consequently, the worst-case scenario for breaking a page that did not need the protection to begin with is that the owner easily opts out, in a manner that is trivial to verify across his resources; on the other hand, the worst-case scenario for leaving one out of thousands resources on Facebook, MySpace, eBay, or my wife's cat fanciers' forum, accidentally not protected by an opt-in mechanism in some obscure code path... is more or less widespread misery that is extremely hard and sometimes expensive to clean up.

/mz