Ian Hickson wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Tommy Thorsen wrote:
Consider the following markup:

The html5 parsing algorithm produces the following tree:

whereas Firefox and Opera both produce:

and IE produces:

The main problem with the html5 output, in my opinion, is the extra <p></p>
inside the <object>. This happens because <object> is a scoping element and
the final </p> is not able to find the first <p>.

I've fixed this in our implementation by implementing the first paragraph in
'An end tag whose name is "p"' in "in body" as if it said:

---
If the stack of open elements does not have an element in scope  with the same
tag name as that of the token, then this is a parse error

If the stack of open elements does not contain an element with the same tag
name as that of the token, then act as if a start tag with the tag name p had
been seen, then reprocess the current token.
---

I don't really see this as a critical issue; did this break any pages? Since WebKit does what HTML5 does here, I've left the spec as is.

This does not, as far as I know, break any real pages. We did discuss the issue in the irc-channel after I sent this mail (http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20081112#l-285 and onwards) and we came to the same conclusion as you. I've reverted the change I did to our parser so that we follow the specification.

regards,
Tommy