Hallvord R M Steen wrote:
2009/1/20 Jamie Rumbelow <ja...@jamierumbelow.net>:
I think that the already available solution to your problem are Microformats
- you are essentially embedding metadata, semantically in HTML.

Of course, but I think your comment misses half of the proposed
solution.. namely what format the UA puts the information on the
clipboard in.

Determining how one application passes information via the clipboard to another application seems very much out of scope of HTML. If there was such a method available, then we could investigate how to obtain the relevant semantics from the document. But we can't do that until there is some clipboard format available for this purpose that other applications can understand.

I doubt that it would be possible to create some generic format that would be suitable for such a wide range of use cases. For an address book application, the most sensible approach would be to add a vCard format (text/directory;profile=vcard) to the clipboard. Given that many address books already support the vCard file format, it's not such a stretch to believe that they could read the data in that format from the clipboard. The problem is getting them to support an import from clipboard feature.

However, other use cases, like pasting a quote into a word processor complete with bibliographic information, would need an entirely different format.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/