Ian Hickson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Paul Arzul wrote:
is it unfortunate that the html4 stylesheet is only informative? perhaps html5 could then consider giving us a normative default user agent stylesheet - or at least a normative version with only display properties.

The spec has a semi-normative one now. User agents aren't required to follow it, because we never know when they might apply styles for particular users with special needs.

Could that arguably be considered to be a machine-generated user stylesheet?

I tend to think of the settings my browser has for choosing default fonts and so forth to be functionally equivalent to me writing a user stylesheet that contains the same settings.

This would allow the HTML spec to normatively require browsers to use a particular default stylesheet (or, indeed, act as if they've done so) while still allowing for user-specific alterations of various kinds.

(I believe that Mozilla is already implemented as above, more or less.)