In message <cc3986d1-6ddc-4007-8bba-42a5d4e39...@eatyourgreens.org.uk>, Jim O'Donnell <j...@eatyourgreens.org.uk> writes

This is already a solved problem in the Text Encoding Intiative (TEI). The value of a date/time is encoded in the Gregorian calendar, using ISO8601. The calendar attribute is used to indicate the calendar of the original, written date enclosed in the tags.
eg. from the TEI docs for dates and times
<date calendar="Julian" value="1732-02-22">Feb. 11, 1731.</date>
I suggested that the calendar attribute be adopted in HTML5, as it would be useful to those of us who mark up historical texts in HTML.

That's one possible solution - better than none - but I do wonder why we'd force authors to manually convert dates, when we all have machines which can do that.

We can't change the author's original written dates

That's certainly true.

--
Andy Mabbett