There appears to be some W3C activity regarding this problem. There is a draft about file uploads[1] which is edited by a Mozilla employee. This is not accidentally. As of Firefox 3 we have the possibility of Ajax file uploads. The API resembles pretty much the draft.

Also, Safari 4 and Chrome 2 - WebKit in other words - provide an API for the same purpose,
but it has less to do with the above mentioned standard draft.

I've written an extensive post [2] about the API in Firefox 3. Maybe it will help you.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileUpload/publish/FileUpload.html
[2] http://igstan.blogspot.com/2009/01/pure-javascript-file-upload.html