On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:39:05 +0200, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:
There is no other reason to put a codec in the spec -- the primary reason to spec a behavior (to document vendor consensus) does not apply. "Some
vendors agreed, and some objected violently" is not "consensus".

The "vendor consensus" line of argument seems like a very dangerous slippery slope. It would mean that whenever a vendor refuses to implement something it has to be taken out of the specification. I.e. giving a single vendor veto power over the documentation of the Web Platform. Not good at all in my opinion.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/