On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:35:22 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Philip Jagenstedt <phil...@opera.com>wrote:

the point is simply that calling canPlayType without out a codecs list or with specific codecs, you can learn exactly what is supported and not out of the container formats and codecs you are interested in, without the need for
the strange "probably"/"maybe"/"" API.

I think it would be somewhat counterintuitive for canPlayType("video/ogg") to return true, but canPlayType("video/ogg; codecs=dirac") to return false.

Well I disagree of course, because having canPlayType("video/ogg") mean anything else than "can I demux Ogg streams" is pointless.

Quoting myself from http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-November/017212.html (replies from Ian)