Ian Hickson wrote:
The other issue is Mark Nottingham's Web Linking draft[2]. It section 6.2, it establishes its own Link Relation Type Registry and the process by which additional link relations are added. It would seem to me that it would be prudent to have a single registry and process for both HTML5 and the Web Linking draft.

Web Linking isn't really compatible with the HTML5 spec as far as I can tell. For example it doesn't let you create types that depend on the other types present (e.g. as we do with "up" and "alternate"), it doesn't let

1) Is this a good idea in the first place?

2) See also the last paragraphs in http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-06.html#rfc.section.A.p.12>.

you add other attributes (as we do for "icon" and sizes=""), it doesn't

See above.

define how the linking fits into the processing models for other technologies (e.g. where style sheets from Link: headers fit in to the cascade), and so on. Mark is aware of these issues, but has declined to

Could you clarify why that needs to be specified there?

make his draft handle them. At the moment, HTML5 doesn't hook rel="" into the Web Linking registry.

The Web Linking spec is in IETF Last Call, and if you think these issues need to be resolved, you should send a comment to i...@ietf.org (see LC announcement: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg06309.html>

BR, Julian