Jeremy Orlow wrote:
     > and, when passed value is undefined (e.g. `setItem("key")`), which
     > behavior will be correct?

I believe this is the correct section of the spec to be looking at: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-DOMString

If so, I think it's pretty clear that Safari's implementation is correct on this issue.

Given the actual example code (and not its description, which doesn't match the code), the relevant section is http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-operations steps 1 through 3 in the third bullet point.

It looks to me like per the current spec text that will throw a TypeError for the above call, unless the second argument to setItem is marked [optional].

-Boris