Re: [whatwg] behavior

Sun, 18 Oct 2009 05:40:37 -0700

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:21:56 +0200, Ben Laurie <b...@google.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 5:37 AM, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Andrew Oakley wrote:
>>
>> - Should the type attribute take precedence over the Content-Type
>> header?
>
> No, I believe what the spec says here is the preferred behaviour.
> Unless this is incompatible with legacy content, we should try to move
> towards this behaviour.

I realise this is only one of dozens of ways that HTML is unfriendly to
security, but, well, this seems like a bad idea - if the page thinks it
is embedding, say, some flash, it seems like a pretty bad idea to allow
the (possibly untrusted) site providing the "flash" to run whatever it
wants in its place.

If the site is untrusted, yet you are letting it run flash, then you've
lost already. Flash can inject arbitrary JS into your page.

Perhaps I am failing to understand, but if I embed anything from an
untrusted site, then it can choose what type it is - so how would I
prevent it running Flash?

Running Flash and allowing the same Flash to script your page are two different things. Flash needs allowscriptaccess="always" to script if it is loaded from a different domain. This may not be true for all plug-ins though.

--
Ola P. Kleiven, Core Compatibility, Opera Software