Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
Further, Benno suggests extending http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
with a property to disable following redirects automatically so as to
be able to expose the redirection.

I am not aware if somebody else has suggested these use cases for CORS
and XMLHttpRequest before (this may not even be the right fora for
it), but since these are so closely linked to what we do in HTML5, I
thought it would be good to point it out. I would think that at
minimum Anne knows what to do with it, since he is editor on both.

Extending XMLHttpRequest for better control over redirects certainly would be a good thing.

Note that there's work-in-progress of adding "proper" HTTP support to the Netscape plugin API (see <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:GenericHttpMethod>), where we have the same feature request, and it would be good to align this with XmlHttpRequest semantics.

Best regards, Julian