On 27.08.2010 00:45, Adam Barth wrote:
Escaping just those character is insufficient.  The appeal of this
approach is that authors don't need the right blacklist of dangerous
characters.  By the way, there are already folks doing something
similar manually now.  They send the untrusted bytes as base64 and
decode them using JavaScript.

That sounds like a good idea which doesn't have the deployment problem.