On 28 Aug 2010, at 23:39, E.J. Zufelt wrote:
> I am suggesting that a different tab page would not be "navigation" in the
> common sense, as the user is not leaving the current page, just switching
> contexts within the application.

But the draft is explicit that links in a "nav" element might only switch
contexts within the current page:

"The nav element represents a section of a page that links to other pages or to
parts within the page"

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-nav-element

It's not idiosyncratic to call tabpage-switching "navigation". Here's an
example from the Yahoo! Design Pattern Library:

http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/navigation/tabs/moduletabs.html

> Another example might be where a tabstrip is used informationally, without
> attached behavior, to indicate perhaps which step of a process a user is
> currently on.

I can imagine this being styled to look like a tabstrip, but I would not call a
UI component that did not actually allow users to switch contexts to be a
tabstrip.

I'd suggest simply using a list here like so:

    <section>
        <h1>Order progress</h1>
        <ol>
            <li>Name and address</li>
            <li>Payment information</li>
        </ol>
    </section>

With CSS, the "span" can be hidden (e.g. offscreen) and the current step marked
with different colors and bold text, for example.

> A list of tabs differs from a list of links, because when selecting a tab the
> user expects the change to stay within a greater context.  If I am logged
> into a CMS and viewing a blog article, tabs may be View, Edit, Track Changes,
> etc.  As a tabstrip I expect these actions to be meaningful within the
> current context of the article.

These sound more like commands in a toolbar than a tablist. Couldn't you use
the "menu" element?

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html#menus

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis