Am 25.11.2010 13:21 schrieb Biju:

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:41 AM, a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk>  wrote:
Modal dialogues have a very special purpose, which works consistently across
various browsers in that we can program in with javascript some very
specific responses. What would happen if someone came to your site with a
speech/Braille browser? How would they know your pretty js lib built

That is a valid point. But how many good sites use
alert/confirm/prompt for every thing. So all those case speech/Braille
browser have problem to deal with.
If we want use that feature the web site need to code their site for
speech/Braille browser. If that is the case we could achieve same
thing with HTML.

Maybe, instead of your original suggestion, it might be worth thinking about making alert()/confirm()/prompt() dialogs styleable via CSS? Then those fancy JS lib dialogs would get obsolete, and we had the favour of both nice look and support for the special purposes of those dialogs.