On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:56:33 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

On 12/2/10 2:31 PM, Daniel Veditz wrote:
On 12/1/10 7:29 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 12/1/10 3:49 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
I dunno about solid, but the obvious things you can do with
javascript: that you can't do as easily with data: are things
that are dynamic. That said, in a sandbox the only things that
are available as obvious sources of dynamism are |new Date| and
|Math.random|.  So achieving solidity might take some work.  ;)

What dynamism does a javascript: url give you that can't be achieved
by running an in-page script to generate data: urls?

None, except for the fact that the in-page script would have to find the right places to stick those data: URIs, which might be impossible. For example, if I load a cross-site stylesheet, and it wants to have a dynamically-generated image like so |content: url("javascript:...")| then I couldn't handle that via script from my page, because I can't touch the OM of that cross-site sheet.

It would be quite straight-forward to use a cross-site <script> instead, one that generates the data: URL and then inserts a stylesheet. It also has the benefit of making it clear to the including side that scripting is needed for it to work.

(Realistically though, just generating the images once on the server-side as a JPEG/PNG is a more likely solution.)

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer