Am 09.12.2010 07:12 schrieb Boris Zbarsky:
2) There is some potential for abuse (e.g. putting up dialogs to make
yourself the active tab if you determine that you aren't, though
perhaps this is a quality of implementation issue). I can
particularly see things like ads doing this so you don't just
switch to a different tab while they're running.

I'd really appreciate some comment on this. I'm pretty worried about
adding features that we then have to start working around people abusing
almost immediately...

I assume that the abuse potential here is about the same as for onunload.

Regarding ads, I assume that providing some kind of visibility API could also lead to "better" ads. Ad authors could make their ads stop executing when invisible. One main annoyance about ads is their resource consumption, thus ad blockers could provide a setting "Block content from ad providers who don't stop the execution of hidden ads". Which would allow their users to block annoying resource consumers, while not blocking "good" ads, which their favorite websites might depend on.