On 12/20/10 10:21 AM, Alex Komoroske wrote:
I'm not sure that I understand the point of confusion.  When I say
'tab', I mean the current UI construct implemented in Firefox, Safari,
Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, and others.

I think the point of confusion is that you think this UI construct is an important fundamental, whereas others thing it's not.

Each window can have one
or more tabs, and in curent implementations (with very few exceptions),
each window can only have a single visible tab.

As you note, there are exceptions. What makes you think that two years from now the now-common case won't be the exception?

It would be preferable to define whatever visibility API is defined without reference to tabs; they're a possibly-transient implementation detail. For example, Firefox on mobile has different rendering areas, etc, but they're not surfaced as "tabs" to the user; the UI looks and acts totally different, last I checked (and is implemented quite differently, iirc).

-Boris