On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 01:23:57 +0100, Eric Carlson <eric.carl...@apple.com> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phil...@opera.com>wrote:

For the record, this is the solution I've been imagining:

* add HTMLMediaElement.seek(t, [exact]), where exact defaults to false if
missing

* make setting HTMLMediaElement.currentTime be a non-exact seek, as that
seems to be the most common case

I think setting currentTime should be exact, since a) exact seeking is
simpler from the author's point of view and b) it would be unfortunate to set currentTime to value T and then discover that getting currentTime gives
you a value other than T (assuming you're paused).

I agree that precise seeking follows the principle of least surprise, based partly on the bugs files against the <video> element on iOS where this hasn't always been the behavior.

Changing the default at this point wouldn't really hurt since not all browsers are doing exact seeking anyway, right? I think that keyframe seeking is more often what you want and it'd be better to let the few who want frame-exact seeking jump through hoops than having everyone who makes a simple seeking UI discover that seeking is a bit slow and 20% of them figuring out that it can be fixed by using seek().

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer