On 1/27/11 1:23 AM, Brett Zamir wrote:
I'll give a more concrete example, but I did state the problem:
separation of concerns, and the data I want, getting a CSS property for
a given selector.

"selectors" don't have properties. Elements have properties, and declarations have properties. "selectors" are a mechanism for tying rulesets to declarations.

For example, we want the designer guy to be able to freely change the
colors in the stylesheet for indicating say a successful transition
(green), an error (red), or waiting (yellow) for an Ajax request. The
JavaScript girl does not want to have to change her code every time the
designer has a new whim about making the error color a darker or lighter
red, and the designer is afraid of getting balled out for altering her
code improperly. So the JavaScript girl queries the ".error" class for
the "background-color" property to get whatever the current error color
is and then indicates to an animation script that "darkred" should be
the final background color of the button after the transition. The
retrieval might look something like:

document.getCSSPropertyValue(".error", "background-color"); // 'darkred'

You can do that right now using getComputedStyle, with a bit more code, right?

Or, for canvas specifically. You draw an animated "Hello" and want the
designer to be able to choose the fill color. You want to be able to
query the stylesheet easily to get the styling info.

Or just set a class on your canvas and let styles apply to it as normal?

-Boris