On 2/10/11 5:09 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
And constructing whatever output model (AST, bytecode, whatever) your
parser produces.

I can grant you persisting information about the structure to some point
but generating byte code is not the job of the parser

Well, the parser has to output _some_ representation. In the case of Spidermonkey, the parser outputs bytecode directly. In the case of V8 it outputs an AST. Constructing those takes time.

Yes, but it's a long way from there to saying that "parsing" must be a-
voided because parsing is inherently slow. As it becomes more common to
load very large libraries where you don't actually use most things, or
use them only much later, it may also be that your "parser" simply does
too much work up-front. I have no idea, I just don't think saying we
should not look at individual factors in finding a proper optimization
is the best approach.

Oh, I agree that we shouldn't take current browser JS parser behavior as set in stone.

-Boris