On 2011-09-11 17:30, Daniel Holbert wrote:
On 09/11/2011 07:21 AM, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
Not only must "#" be "%23" if you don't want it as a frag id, but ">"
and "<" should be "%3E" and "%3C".
[...]
 > Of course, if you can percent-encode everything needed as you type, you
 > can hand-author the URI data. But, who wants to do that,

As I noted in a response to Nils earlier in this thread,
Firefox/Webkit/Opera don't actually require authors to percent-encode
brackets and spaces in data URIs. (not sure whether that's correct per
spec or not).

It's not correct per RFC 2397 (data) and RFCs 3986 (URI) and 3987 (IRI), but the HTML spec certainly could *make* it correct by introducing an additional layer (if there was consensus to do so). Right now HTML5 conformance requires valid IRIs, so unescaped whitespace or angle brackets in @hrefs make the document non-conforming.

Best regards, Julian