Fair dames and damsels of the list

Consider http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html#the-summary-element: "The summary element represents a summary, caption, or legend for the rest of the contents of the summary element's parent details element, if any."

I read "if any" to mean there may or may not be "a summary, caption or legend".

However, a questioner to HTML5 Doctor believes that <summary> can be used outside <details>, reading "if any" to sugest that there may not be a "summary element's parent details element".

(She wants to use <summary> at the top of an article to summarise its contents, because the ambiguous prose I quote suggests that a parent details element is optional).

Can we remove this ambiguity? "The summary element represents an optional summary, caption, or legend for the rest of the contents of the summary element's parent details element" would work.

bruce